Yay! Back in business, to make a long story short: drove over my phone, had to find a decent replacement because I’m quite the phone snob. Obviously the phone was beyond repair so I got an exchange. There that’s done!
I hope you all got to spend Christmas celebrations with your loved ones around the table. We had a few festive meals so needless to say we’re craving food that doesn’t shout out -sauce,meat, stuffed turkey and sweet chutney’s- ( at least for a week, then i’ll be craving christmas food again)
So with 5 fennels I had to be a bit more inventive than to serve steamed fennel or fennel soup...
A few years ago we visited Marrakech and had dinner on the most beautiful terrace at Nomad. I still remember a squid dish with chargrilled fennel with tomato salsa and it was heaven. Whether it was the stunning view, the souk or the crisp night air it was one of those nights where you remember every detail.
Well, chargrilled fennel it is!
Grilled Fennel, Barley and a delicious tangy avocado dressing
- 6 tbsp of unsweetend natural yoghurt
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp of Mustard
- 1 tbsp of Canola oil
- Lots of Black pepper
- Generous amound of sea salt
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 small fennel
- 2 cups of Barley or Millet
- Fresh winter herbs (chervil, purslane, celery leaves)
- Hot pepper flakes (duh)
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- For the dressing, blend 1/2 avocado together with the yoghurt, mustard, squeeze of lemon, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook barley or Millet according to package instructions. Add oil when cooked so it doesn’t stick together. Add lemon zest , salt and pepper.
- Slice the fennel in two and rub generously with a mixture of oil, salt and pepper. Grill for 2 minutes on each side. Make sure you have small fennels, those bombs at the supermarket aren’t really suitable for this dish as they’re a bit too chunky.
- Crumble up the walnuts with your hands, or crush them under a plate.
- Plate up and drizzle some dressing over it together with hot pepper flakes, fresh herbs and walnuts.
Half the festivities done, yay for the second part!
Unless I kill my phone yet again, I’ll be back a bit sooner :-)